Sunday, May 4, 2014

"Happy Hour"

Daily Painting #5
"Happy Hour"
8" x 10", Acrylic on Panel
$100.00

It's always 5 o'clock somewhere!

In recent times adding '-tini' to a beverage name has become popular, as in 'chocolate-tini' or 'apple-tini', so I guess that makes this a 'cherry-tini' although it bears little resemblance to a true martini.  I believe the naming trend has more to do with the shape of the cocktail glass in which this mixed drink is served.

I love to combine complementary colors when it makes sense to do so.  In this case the muted green background is a nice complement to the red cherry.  The 'distressed' background effect was achieved by applying many layers of thin color, or 'washes', which I then scrubbed off.  The accumulated paint has the appearance of an old chalkboard.

I'm so happy that I've decided to create smaller works.  It allows me to experiment because if it doesn't work out, it's usually not a big deal to go back a step and try again.  And by taking that risk and trying something new I'm growing as an artist.  I'm also completing work much more quickly which means I'm painting a larger variety of subjects - a good thing for a woman with a short attention span. 

Purchase the original painting or a reproduction in many different sizes from my online gallery here:

Subscribe to my feed and be among the first to see what's new!

Thanks for visiting, have a wonderful week!

Cheers,
Karyn


No comments:

Post a Comment