Tuesday, July 22, 2014

My Two Sides


Most people love Halloween.  It's an opportunity to get into costume and become something else; a superhero, a sexy maid, or maybe a zombie.  For a few brief hours we hide behind the masks and become something we normally are not.

Being an artist affords me the same opportunity.  I get to try new things and take that essential step outside my comfort zone.  

Some days I just want to sling paint.  On other days it's all about the detail in light passing through a wine glass or vase.

Below are a few examples of my two sides.


"Skatepark"
9" x 12", Acrylic 

When I painted "Skatepark" I wanted to experiment with an image that would appear both realistic and abstract at the same time.  I liked the play of light and shadows. 



"Grandmother's Silver"
30" X 36", Acrylic

"Grandmother's Silver" on the other hand, was all about realism and I took days meticulously painting the details in the tarnished silver.




"Pandemonium"
Triptych
24" x 36", Acrylic

My triptych, "Pandemonium" brought out my inner graffiti artist.  Creating it was very rewarding and great fun.



"Strawberries"
8" x 10", Acrylic

In a return to realism, painting "Strawberries" was equally enjoyable.



Every artist seeks guidance from those more experienced and the one thing I hear over and over is 'find your style', or 'develop a recognizable style'.

Perhaps one day I'll heed their well intentioned advice, but right now I'm having too much fun.  I prefer to seek counsel from the writer, Doug Adams who proudly proclaimed:

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I needed to be." 

Visit my gallery and celebrate the dichotomy that is my Art.



2 comments:

  1. Wow,Karen -- I envy you the chance to paint that skatepark. I'd love to photograph it! I like seeing all your different faces ( or different minds) exhibited here.

    Keep doing what you're doing. Your path is a twisty, but wonderful, one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. I'm just interested in so many different things and I always appreciate a challenge and the opportunity to build on my skills. I'll just keep on 'keepin' on'!

      Delete